The history of Westminster is one of community spirit and sharing. Together its members have built a centre of worship, Christian education and outreach. There have always been dedicated volunteers, choir members, church school leaders and committed ministers and members to continue the work first begun in 1958.
In March, Oshawa Presbytery supports the decision to form a new congregation.
In November, the congregation is officially constituted with 41 charter members.
A building site on Manning Road, Whitby is purchased.
On April 3, The first building is opened and dedicated.
The church calls Reverend John Porter to be its first full-time minister. Prior to that time, Westminster had been part of a two-point charge with Westmount United Church. Reverend William Gibb and Reverend J. Ward were the ministers.
Westminster develops a senior citizens non-profit housing complex adjacent to the church managed by church members. Manning Mews provides 20 housing units, half of which have rents scaled to income.
The Manning Road building expanded by 50% its existing space. This project was completed in the spring of 1992.
Parish Nursing is introduced and welcomed by the Westminster community through the services of a part-time Parish Nurse.
A focus on health and wellness has been an integral strength for our church for the past 15 years. We are recognized as one of the pioneers of Parish Nursing in Canada. Gail Brimbecom was our pioneer Parish Nurse, retiring in December 2005. She was succeeded by Marian Leek, who moved on to a full-time nursing position in mid 2009. Since then the Parish Nurse position has not been re-staffed.
The Westminster congregation outgrows the church building on Manning Road and a decision is made to build a new church at 1850 Rossland Road, our current location. The church is completed in time for Palm Sunday in 2003.